Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Reality Show Junkie's Opinion on "Teen Mom"


Original "Teen Mom" cast
Want to know one thing you probably don't know about me?  I am a self proclaimed reality show junkie.  From "The Bachelor" and "The Bachelorette" to "Big Brother", I love them all.  (Okay, I'm lying.  I do not watch them all, but you're picking up what I'm throwing down, right?  Good!)  One of my favorite reality shows, however, would have to be "Teen Mom".  By this I am including both "Teen Mom" and "Teen Mom 2". 

My personal opinion is that this show and the girls involved face a lot of undeserved criticism.  Many people believe that this show ENCOURAGES teenage girls to get pregnant, which I think is absolutely false.  Most of the people who make this claim have probably not watched one episode of the show.  While I would not recommend it for little girls, I definitely would recommend it for appropriate aged teenage girls.

Together, "Teen Mom" and "Teen Mom 2" follow a total of eight girls throughout their everyday lives as teen moms.  It shows their struggles and strives, and the discrimination they face, but the show also celebrates their victories.  It shows the different outcomes of being a teenage mom - from adoption, to a ton of family support, to very little family support.  I think it is both an educational/informative show, and a persuasive show.  It educates girls, but it also persuades them to be safe and smart while making decisions that could potentially affect the outcomes of there futures.

What do you think about "Teen Mom"? 


"Teen Mom 2" cast




Photos courtesy of:  www.weheartit.com

No comments: