Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Stages of Grieving


My cat looks up to the heavens,
As I fall down to my knees
 
I know that praying will not bring you back,
But perhaps it will give me some ease
 
Ease to go on without you
Ease to wake up every day
Ease to bring me some clarity, when I see no reason to stay
 
My heart knows you want me to be happy
I long to set my anxieties and depression free
But how can I even begin to cope without you standing beside me?
 
Someday I will walk down the aisle,
Wearing a pretty white dress,
Without my father to give me away –
To release me from my nest
 
I will be surrounded by people who love me,
But that will never replace,
The look I wish I could have seen, on your aging face
 
You will always be with me,
I know that to be true, but sometimes I selfishly wonder,
“How could you?”
 
How could you leave me here, on this dreadful earth?
How could you leave me here, as you rolled away in a hearse?
How could you leave me here, at such a pivotal point in my life?
How could you leave us here alone – your daughter and your wife?
 
But I have to stop and remember,
You would be here if it was in your control
 
I cannot begin to blame you, for being taken home
I cannot blame God
I cannot blame fate
I just have to rest assured that I will see you again someday
 
For that is the only source of comfort as I get up off my knees
I know you are somewhere driving a bus, though your time here has ceased
I know that you are my guardian angel, and that is what gives me ease

No comments: