Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Importance of Thy Name

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet." -Shakespeare


The quote above comes from the infamous play, Romeo and Juliet.  If you do not know the story, Juliet is a Capulet, and Romeo is a Montague.  Their families do not get along, but Romeo and Juliet (obviously) fall in love.  In the particular quote above, Juliet tells Romeo that his name does not matter.  He would be the same person no matter what his name was. 

While I agree that Romeo would probably be the same guy no matter what his name was, I also beg to differ with Juliet.  A name is more than just a word - it is who you are.  It is what your mother, father, or guardian chose to name you.  It is your title.  It is what everyone from your Auntie May to your former babysitter, to Old Will from across the street and your second grade teacher, calls you. 
 
You see, a name means more to me than it does to some people.  When I was a freshman in high school, I was bullied.  Fortunately, I was able to switch to a different school my sophomore year.  One of the first things I remember commenting on to my mom after I switched schools was that a boy in my class had called me by my name.  He simply called me 'Molly.'  It was not that everyone at my old school had referred to me as Freak or Stupid (although some words similar to those were used behind my back).  It was just that many of them did not value me or talk to me enough to actually call me by my name.  Some of them probably didn't even know my name.

The day I noticed that this boy had called me by my name was a milestone of sorts.  It touched me, and it also meant so much to me.  It still means a lot to me to this day.  It was something so normal, yet so powerful.  I understand that it may seem petty to you, but it is something I will never forget.  That just goes to show you how one simple act of kindness can change someone's life - or at least their day. 

Thank you, Dorian, for calling me by my name.


Photo Courtesy of:  http://www.photobucket.com/

1 comment:

Ashley Morris said...

Thanks for dropping by the blog today and leaving some sweet words <3

Love this! There's something intimate about a name. Look at Martha Stewart, Harriet Tubman, Brad Pitt, Johnny Cash - everyone knows their names and why they are important (even though they are all completely different). To me personally it's something intimate. I'd much rather be called by my name than anything else! :)

xo