Monday, October 11, 2010

Coexist: Stop Judging, Start Loving.

For some reason, I have been thinking about the word "coexist" lately.  I decided to look it up on the online Merriam-Webster Dictionary, and this is the two definitions it gave me:

1: to exist together or at the same time


2: to live in peace with each other especially as a matter of policy
 
I, myself, liked the second definition best.  I believe strongly in tolerating everyone, whether you agree with their lifestyle or not.  It is just common courtesy to be friendly to everyone, and acknowledge that every individuals opinion matters. 

As I said, I have been thinking about coexisting quite a bit lately - what it means, and what it entails.  However, the reason I made the decision to write on this topic, today particularly, is because a fellow blogger informed me in her post that today is National Coming Out Day.  Cate wrote a wonderful blog on tolerating other people, and accepting them.  While I do not personally belong to the LGBT community, I have many friends who do.  I also have friends of other religions, races, social classes, and backgrounds.  I support them all 100 percent - not necassarily because I agree with every single thing they do, but because they are my friend.  They are a human being, as am I.  I want to be treated equally and with respect, so why shouldn't I treat them the way I would like to be treated?

Coexisting is such a powerful word to me.  People have bumper stickers, clothes, and even tattoos - all dedicated to that one word.  I know what it means to me, but what does it mean to you?  Do you believe in coexisting?  Do you ever find yourself judging someone of another religion, race, sexual orientation, or even someone who is just a little different than you?  Well, today I just have one request for all of you:  stop judging, and start loving.  We all need to learn how to coexist with one another, and the world would be a much better place if we could.  Whether you are a Christian or not, there is one Bible passage I believe all of us should try to live by.  Romans 12:21 says, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good."  So, stop judging, start loving. 



Image courtesy of:  www.photobucket.com

No comments: