Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Ten Things Tuesday: Words!

Welcome to my second annual Ten Things Tuesday! Today I will be writing ten of my favorite words (and their meanings according to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary!) As a writer, words are very important to me! I absolutely love the use of language. So here it goes! Ten of my favorite words and their meanings:

1. Hope-to cherish a desire with anticipation

2. Plethora-excess, superfluity ; also : profusion, abundance

3. Melancholy-depression of spirits

4. Parched-deprived of natural moisture

5. Theatre (spelled r-e NOT e-r!)- a: dramatic or theatrical quality or effectiveness b: spectacle 1a c: entertainment in the form of a dramatic or diverting situation or series of events

6. Hypocrite-a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

7. Eccentric-deviating from an established or usual pattern or style

8. Facade-a false, superficial, or artificial appearance or effect

9. Insight-the power or act of seeing into a situation

10. Ironic-relating to, containing, or constituting irony

Hope you gained some insight with a plethora of wonderful words! Check back next Tuesday for another Ten Things!

3 comments:

Shawna said...

Why do people spell it r-e and not e-r?

I feel like it works either way, but the r-e spelling is the snootier version.

Shawna's Study Abroad

Molly said...

Yes...honestly I'm not quite sure why I like to spell it that way...some people consider "theater" the building & "theatre" the art of performing, but I use "theatre" interchangeable (mostly because I like the way it looks!) haha... Really I think it's just a personal preference.

Marcos Vinicius Gomes said...

I think interesting your words,mainly facade - that in Portuguese we say "Fachada" ( the pronunciation is some thing like "fashada"). The pronunciation is different but the meaning it's the same 1-face of a building2-false, superficial appearance. And I find odd you don't use the "comma" behind c - in Portuguese is called "ce-cedilla" รง - I suppose is because you key board is English (obvious you are american!) and doesn't have this letter, and besides, English doesn't have "ce-cedilha"...
Theatre sounds like "teatro" (Portuguese), but I learnt in my English classes that this is a British pronunciation (that sounds bettter than "theater"), but in center or centre I think that there is not difference...
Thanks for have born my "short" words.
Congratulations from Brazil, "The country of football"